1. Materials are clear, accurate, and current regarding fees, activities, expectations, criteria for involvement, refund policies, and other aspects of the program. Enrollment forms clearly explain refund policies in case of cancellation by (a) the participant before or during the program, and (b) by the organization.
2. Application is open to all based on stated criteria, but applicants are evaluated as to maturity, motivation, skills, responsibility, physical and mental health, and cultural sensitivity. Organization is willing to reject applicants who do not meet the stated criteria.
3. Intentionally encourages diversity in recruiting participants of varying backgrounds, skills, income levels, ethnicities, age, gender and abilities/disabilities. When possible, devotes a portion of organizational income, or seeks funding support, for this purpose.
4. Has a system in place for communication between potential and former volunteers.
5. Suggests means of fundraising to participants.
6. Provides thorough pre-departure and orientation descriptive materials well before the program. Materials include: (a) Information about the country, culture, language, and issues of the society. (b) Clear, accurate, and up to date information on lodging, meals, transportation, and logistics of the program. (c) Detailed information on volunteer work sites and placement expectations. (d) Clear, accurate, and up to date information about health, safety, travel, passport and visa requirements.
7. Requires that all volunteers/participants have international travel medical insurance. If insurance is not provided by the organization, requires that all volunteers/participants provide proof of international medical insurance prior to departure.
8. Clearly defines expectations and consequences of behavior violations in the program including responsibilities during the volunteer service, behavior offensive to the host culture, or violation of local laws. Includes statements about the organization’s policy in regard to the involvement of the volunteer in in-country politics and social advocacy activities.