Happy International Volunteer Day!
International Volunteer Day was December 5th and it is a special day to recognize and thank volunteers for their contributions to communities around the world. In the US alone, about 63 Million people, almost 27% of the population, said they volunteered in the last year (US BLS).
The theme for 2010’s IVD was “Volunteering for the MDGs”. So as we celebrate volunteers worldwide let us also reflect on what is being done to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and what we personally might be able to contribute.
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
- Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
- Goal 4: Reduce child mortality rate
- Goal 5: Improve maternal health
- Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give.
— Winston Churchill